Welcome to the grossly under-appreciated subject of musical time and rhythm…
Encompassing a wide variety of subjects: pulse, tempo, meter, up-beats, down-beats, back-beats, sub-beats, super-beats, note duration, rests, melodic rhythm, melodic contour, dynamics, acceleration and deceleration, cycles, repetitions, anticipation, delay, melodic motives, harmonic rhythm, phrasing, and form.
In this section, we will cover just the basics. More advanced topics, such as swing, rubato, syncopation, and poly-rhythms, will be explored in the various “schools” of music as the need arises. Enjoy!
- The First Lesson
- Time Never Stops
- Pulse & Meter
- Downbeats & Upbeats
- Time Signatures
- The Metronome
- A Two-Fisted Study of a Repeating Pulse
- A Two-Fisted Study in 2/4 Time
- A Two-Fisted Study in 3/4 Time
- A Two-Fisted Study in 4/4 Time
- A Two-Fisted Study in 6/8 Time
- A Two-Fisted Study in Paradiddles
- Click Tracks