The symptoms of a technical problem fall into two basic categories: physical and musical…
The physical symptoms (your body just doesn’t feel right) include:
- Feelings of muscle tension.
- Feelings of muscle fatigue.
- Feelings of awkwardness.
- Feelings of rushing but always arriving late.
- The lost sense of where your body is with respect to the piano.
- The inability to play fast no matter how hard you try.
The musical symptoms (the music you’re making is just not coming across in the way you intend) include:
- Lack of rhythmic coherence, your timing feels off.
- Haphazard dynamics and unintentional accents.
- Flat delivery without dynamic shading that suits the phrases.
If you experience any of the above symptoms, do not despair. Do not fall into the trap of thinking that you are untalented. I know the frustration and self-doubt because I have been there, but trust me on this: In all likelihood all you really need to do is to solve some simple and fundamental technical problems.