Some critically-important insights to get your attitude regarding piano technique moving in the right direction…
- Playing the piano should never ever hurt.
- Any tension, awkwardness, or discomfort is an invitation to find an easier way.
- The solution to technical problem is found by working with, not fighting against the the ways your body move naturally.
- Musical body movements looks and feel like fluid choreography, not machine-like precision.
- It takes the coordination of only a small number of simple movements to play any musical pattern with ease and confidence.
- The music will suggest which body parts to use and how to use them.
- Even small adjustments in how you use your body can absolutely liberate your technique.
- When you are playing well, in other words, musically, three things will happen. Your body will feel musical. Your body motions will look musical. And the music will, for lack of a better word, sound musical! These three things are inseparable!
- Playing the piano is like dancing… with a partner.