Possible reasons to dread performing include…
- The rational fear of not being adequately prepared. (See: How to Study-Practice)
- Fear of making a mistake.
- Fear of disappointing yourself or your audience.
- Fear of loss of control.
- Lack of confidence in one’s abilities.
- Playing for the wrong reasons. (An unhealthy emphasis on extrinsic rewards and not enough on the intrinsic joys of playing music.)
Can you think of some others? (Please comment below).
learn more… Performance Anxiety: The Proving Ground