Every thought, belief, and action that you repeat over and over turns into a habit… an unconscious, automatic behavior…
- Habits are stored in long-term memory.
- Long-term memories can be permanent, so we need to be very careful what we store there.
- Whether your thoughts, beliefs, and actions are useful or not, you deeply and unconsciously remember what you repeat.
- Bad habits are hard to break because long-term memories are hard to erase.
Establishing Good Habits
Never think, believe, or act without understanding. Like an innocent child, you must always ask: “Why?” Continuous self-assessment and open-minded skepticism will serve you well. Ask yourself:
- Am I thinking about this in a way that makes sense?
- Are my beliefs congruent with reality?
- Am I behaving in a way that is constructive?
Poor study habits are a very common disease. The primary reason that a student does not perform well is that they do not study the right way. The problem could be lack of motivation, but it is more likely because they were never taught how to study the right way. Studying the right way is itself a very learnable skill. Piano-ology instills good study habits… by showing you the right things to study, by explaining why they are important, and by providing the guidance you need to study them the right way.