Every thought, belief, and action that you repeat over and over again turns into a habit… an unconscious, automatic behavior…
Fundamentals of Habit Formation
Habits are stored in long-term memory.
- Long-term memories can be permanent, so we need to be very careful what we store there.
- Whether your thoughts, beliefs, and actions are useful or not, you deeply and unconsciously remember what you repeat.
- Bad habits are hard to break because long-term memories are hard to erase.
Developing Good Habits
Never think, believe, or act without understanding.
Like an innocent child, you must always ask: “Why?”
Continuous self-assessment and open-minded skepticism will serve you well. Ask yourself:
- Am I thinking about this in a way that makes sense?
- Are my beliefs congruent with reality?
- Am I behaving in a way that is constructive?