Chord study, done right, is essential to understanding how an enormous amount of music works…
If you study-practice chords the right way, you will…
- Expand your visio-spatial awareness of the piano keyboard, by discovering the unique and sometimes quirky patterns of white and black notes that form each chord.
- Transform your sight-reading skills from mere memorization into profound understanding by recognizing when chords are used in written music.
- Develop your aural comprehension skills, learning to recognize when chords are used when you listen to music.
- Acquire meaningful harmonic vocabulary for improvising.
- Develop your piano technique.
The time and energy spent mastering chords greatly expands your musical literacy, deepens your theoretical understanding, heightens your aural awareness, and develops practical performance skills. As your knowledge base and skill sets grow, you will spontaneously and confidently start to apply them in practical playing situations like sight reading, playing by ear, learning a piece by heart, improvisation, and transposition.