Piano-ology is so much more than a collection of music and piano lessons...
Piano-ology is a holistic journey that celebrates life, love, work, and human potential.
Piano-ology is the distilled compendium of knowledge and wisdom gleaned from one man’s intensive and ongoing search for freedom and self-expression.
Piano-ology is an extensive (and growing) multi-media library of knowledge and learn-by-doing lessons that teach you the what, why, and how of music.
Piano-ology rejects all pedantic approaches to education…. and dispels many myths about music and piano practice and directly challenges much tradition and conventional “wisdom”.
Piano-ology demystifies the many things that make music seem harder than it really is.
Piano-ology immerses you in a process where theory and practice are always aligned with musical reality.
Piano-ology teaches you how to study-practice the right things the right way… so that your progress is enjoyable, fast, and enduring.
Ultimately, Piano-ology will provide you with the attitude, knowledge, and skills required to become your own best teacher!
Piano-ology is for you if…
- You are a self-motivated STUDENT who desires to study music for the love of life and the love of people.
- You are a self-motivated TEACHER who wants to deepen their practice and share their love of music with others.
- You LOVE music. You do not even have to be a piano player. Musicians and artists of all kinds will discover universal musical and life lessons here.
- You know that “overnight success” is a myth, that real SUCCESS requires love, work, and discipline.
- You are tired of being a “beginner”. Despite all your dedication and hard work, you feel frustrated by painfully slow progress and feel like you haven’t really mastered anything.
- You know that there is an ARTIST inside you, despite being told that you are “untalented”.
- You are an accomplished player who wants to take their playing to the next level… a place where you make music with your entire being, not just your brain and fingers.
If you can sway to the rhythm and be moved by a beautiful melody, you possess the raw materials to play at a level far beyond anything you’ve ever dreamed possible. All you need is the love of music, the will to study, and expert guidance from someone who’s been there.
What does Piano-ology Teach?
Built upon the foundations of musical subject matter expertise and proven educational psychology principles, Piano-ology immerses you in a holistic process of discovery that touches upon all aspects music- making and life.
- Emotional Preparation… developing a healthy attitude toward music, life, and learning.
- How Your Mind Works… how to use the natural capabilities of your brain so that you can maximize learning with the precious time you have to invest.
- How to Really Read Music… what do all those fancy symbols really mean? The goal is profound musical understanding, not playing like you were “painting by number”.
- Technique… how to apply the natural abilities of your body and mind to play scales & arpeggios & loud & soft & legato & staccato with freedom and ease.
- Sound… what scales, chords, chord progressions, and keys really are and how to study them so that you can really understand and hear what you are playing.
- Rhythm… how to cultivate a full body sense of time manifested in physical motion, not as merely some intellectual abstraction.
- How to Study a Piece of Music… how to get inside the music on many different levels, how to tap into your unique artistic sensibilities in order to create the music “between the dots”.
- Performance… a privileged occasion that demands the right preparation. How does one prepare for a performance, deal with stage fright, and connect with the audience?
- Composition & Improvisation… what is the true nature of creativity? How does one engage the process of creating music?
- And much, much more…
How does Piano-ology Teach?
Piano-ology immerses you in a variety of transformational experiences that will excite and nurture all aspects of your being: body, mind, & spirit. You will learn to use and trust all your innate intelligences, gaining powerful insights into those things that make us dance, sing, remember, laugh and cry.
Piano-ology teaches you the fundamental building blocks of music, with the full understanding of why they are essential. You will “internalize” musically-useful patterns by integrating knowledge (the left side of your brain) and direct experience (the right side of your brain). You will understand and appreciate each pattern intimately in all its dimensions: intellectual, intuitive, visual, kinesthetic, aural, and emotional. You will know them “by brain”, “by body”, and “by heart”. With each pattern that you master, you eliminate another obstacle from your playing and expand the kinds of music you can play with ease and confidence. On your journey, you will discover many latent talents and much untapped potential. You will learn that you are more capable than you’ve ever imagined. You will elevate your expectations of what is possible… both in music and life in general.
Piano-ology is infused with a healthy emotional approach that allows you to enjoy the process of learning and enables you to realize your full potential without self-condemnation and fear. You will be guided down a path of joyous self-discovery that will reveal a well-rounded and confident musician and human being. As you progress, you will spontaneously start to play with more control, confidence, conviction, and artistry.
Piano-ology is a celebration of one of the greatest joys of being human… mastery of something of value that once seemed beyond one’s reach.